Fights can end for any number of reasons though we tend to think that the ending of the 2012 Heavyweight clash between Franklin Egobi and Amosa Zinck may well be amongst the most bizarre.

Pre-bout the fighters had taken blood tests and Zinck had tested positive for Hepatitis C. For those not aware of what Hep. C is it's a disease that effects the liver and can, in extreme cases lead to liver cancer or cirrhosis and require a transplant and is passed by blood-to-blood.

Despite the fact Zinck tested positive for the disease the then 39 year old was allowed to get in the ring with Egobi (we're not sure if Egobi himself knew, or for that matter whether Zinck even knew).

Zinck suffered a cut in the opening round and at the end of the round the Dr called an end to proceedings despite the cut not being "fight ending". Of course the ending of the fight "made sense" due to the way Hep C is spread though the bout actually left more questions than answers, such as the very frank "what the fuck were Professional Boxing & Combat Sports Board of Victoria doing letting him in the ring?"

If the Professional Boxing & Combat Sports Board of Victoria had just an ounce of sanity they would have clearly prevented Zinck from stepping in the ring and fighting. Yet instead they waited until Zinck was cut before ending the bout in what must surely be one of the most laughably stupid moves in Australian boxing history,

The official result (which was up for question due to the very unique ending) was officially ruled a 1 round TKO for Egobi, though probably should have stood as a No Contest or a Technical Draw due to the very extreme situation.

Since this bout Zinck has, rather wisely, hung up his gloves whilst Egobi has fought just once losing to Solomon Haumono in an Australian title fight.

We've received a second story regarding this bout. The second story is that the blood test was sent off to be tested. Up on the test coming back positive the Dr of the fight was sent the results by text and then forced an ending to the bout.

If this story is correct then we again need to ask what the body were up to sanctioning a bout where they hadn't had medicals results before allowing the fighters in to the ring. It's a disgrace and leaves the body up for the same sort of questioning as they'd have had if the original story was true.

Despite the two stories, we'd go with the first one being the most creditable thanks to it being reported on the excellent (
Sometimes our great sport really does shoot it's self in it's foot and go from being brilliant to being laughable. Thankfully many of the most laughable moments are from undercards or are really obscure cards that won't have gotten a great deal of press. Sadly however the odd one slips through the crack and what was supposed to be a main event either gets scrapped at the last minute or worse becomes a none televised and much delayed bout.

Earlier today exciting Australian Alex Leapai (28-4-3, 23) was expected to face Ghana's John Napari (18-0, 12). Both fighters had weighed in the day before and were expected to headline a an internet-PPV dubbed "Thunder in the Hills".

Priced at around $9,95 and streamed by (and shown live in Australia on Fox) the card looked poor, but still had some interest due to the Heavyweight match up. Sadly however a cluster of issues really did overshadow the whole show.

On the day of the fight Napari failed a medical (reported by some as a blood test). Yes you read that correctly, on the DAY of the fight a main event fighter was pulled on medical grounds.

Following Napari being told he couldn't fight Thornberry Promotions went calling around for another opponent for Leapai and eventually ended up with Joe Lloyd (2-5) who had to fly, whilst the show was being televised from Victoria to Queensland. This flight may only be a domestic flight but it's certainly not the preparation a fighter should have prior to facing a world ranked opponent (Leapai is the WBO #8 ranked Heavyweight).

Sadly for Lloyd his chance at having his fight televised was all but killed by the undercard which lasted only 9 combined rounds between the 4 fights thanks to 3 opening round blow outs. The speed of the under-card saw the Leapai v Lloyd bout actually called off whilst Lloyd was in the air.

Fortunately for Lloyd his wasn't totally out and after having had his flight and landed he and Leapai did end up fighting, though Lloyd was wiped out inside a round making his cross country venture painful as well as time consuming.

The card, which was genuinely laughable may well be the end of Noel Thornberry who will likely struggle to ever get a show televised.